Nonprofit Mission Statement:
Arts & Scraps reimagines recycled industrial materials, inspiring people of all ages to think, create and learn.
We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Detroit and founded in 1989.
We connect business, education and community; target audience is children living in low income areas.
Accessible to all: we regularly involve Individuals of Disabilities; the store and warehouse are fully accessible to all and the ScrapMobile has a wheelchair lift. Please feel welcomed. This has been an ongoing priority since 1992.
- Recycle 28 tons of materials each year, serving 275,000 children by assisting 3,300 community organizations and classrooms.
- Receive materials from 210 Detroit area businesses and thousands of individuals.
- Receive 12,000 documented volunteer hours from corporations, individuals, youth groups and Individuals with Disabilities.
- Provide hands-on learning and creative experiences through programs at our facility and in SE Michigan with an emphasis on STEM (science, technology,engineering, math) education.
- Operate a public store, selling materials below our cost to assist all economic level.
- Sell products online to carry our mission nationwide.
- Seek partnerships with both non-profit and for profit businesses to serve larger audiences.
- Are entrepreneurial, earning 54% of our expenses through program/product income. This makes us accountable to those we serve Who supports Arts & Scraps? Last year, our income was $338,207 and our expenses were $337,533. The extra funds were added to savings.
2015 Income Sources:
2015 Expense Breakdown:
Gold Certified by Guidestar. Visit their site to learn more.
Documents to share:
Looking for other educational/arts recycling programs around the world? Art of Recycle in Pennsylvania has a great list